-
May 10th, 2005, 09:56 PM
#1
Senior Hostboard Member
A good question for Todd White and folks:
Can the Mantaray horn from the 604-8H,8K be retrofitted into the earlier 604's?
I assume that since Iconic is making their own duplexes now that the horns might be available......
Ron
-
May 10th, 2005, 10:58 PM
#2
Inactive Member
I am also interested in this Mod...A mantaray horn replacement on a 604H (originally with the 6 section horn).
-
May 11th, 2005, 12:45 PM
#3
Inactive Member
Here's another guy that would love to know the answer to the above. Also, what is involved in removing and more importantly, re-installing the horn on a 604-8G? I want to consider making wood horns in various configurations to try out in mine but will can this idea if a horn change means a re-cone.
-
May 11th, 2005, 02:09 PM
#4
Senior Hostboard Member
Hi Bill. I can tell you how to get the horn off, but getting another back on is beyond my scope. The felt that surrounds the horn can be cut away with a razor/exacto. Slide the blade along the side of the horn carefully. The felt is flexible enough to pull it away slightly at which point shine a light into the gap and look for two small bolt heads, undo these and the horn is off. I have done this on my E's and G's, both came off without undo problems. Getting them back on is a b*tch without removing the felt completely.
-
May 11th, 2005, 04:26 PM
#5
Senior Hostboard Member
I have a 605A that had a UREI blue horn. GPA reconed it and replaced the horn with an OEM horn. The UREI horn was glued to a plastic throat mounted to the 605A. I recall Bill said he used a lot of solvent( acetone ?). Sounds like you could go the other way. Don
-
May 12th, 2005, 12:30 AM
#6
Inactive Member
Hi Guys just passing by:
The older 604s have a 1 1/2" exit into the horn where the newer ones have a 3/4" exit into the horn so the answer should be no dice to pull this switch. But there are commercially available 1 1/2" horns available (hint)
RAFARO
-
May 12th, 2005, 03:14 AM
#7
Inactive Member
I may be wrong but I seem to recall that the horn mount is different so they are not compatible. Having said that, it would seem there would be a market for an improvement that would fit the C-G mount.
Dave
-
May 12th, 2005, 03:53 AM
#8
Senior Hostboard Member
Hi Y'all,
It may not be as easy as just replacing the external horn. The early 604s and 605s all have what appears to be a conical expansion from the exit of the phase plug to the mouth of the externally mounted exponential horn. By contrast, my 604-8Hs appear to have a waveguide with a contant square cross section from the phase plug to the horn mouth. (the other Mantaray duplexes probably do too) I suspect the early conical expansion would need to be replaced as well if the CD horn's benefits were to be realized.
Jeff
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks